Local Democrats met to discuss what it means to be a Democrat. We had a great session with good attendance. We listed all of the things that are important to us and then started a “Who We Are” statement. We circulated this around our membership and after a lot of feedback from our local members, we came up with the following statement:
We Democrats of Calaveras County, are patriotic American citizens who are committed to the rule of law, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. We are a diverse, open-minded group who fervently seek to act with moral responsibility, public integrity, and human compassion; and we are bound by some common beliefs –
- We believe in an open, honest, and straightforward government that provides security from threats both foreign and domestic.
- We believe that the people that serve us by providing that security- the Armed Forces, law enforcement personnel, firemen and all other public servants, deserve our country’s respect and should be provided the best equipment available and be paid a fair and honest wage.
- We believe in an open and honest press that is not unduly influenced by the government or special interests.
- We believe that because our country is the wealthiest country in the world that all of our citizens should have access to health care and education.
- We believe that the government should concern itself with public issues and leave issues of personal choice to the individual.
- We believe that all Americans deserve equal treatment under the laws of our land, regardless of race, gender, financial status, age, religion or sexual orientation.
- We believe that we should be good stewards of our land. Clean air, clean water, healthy forests and diverse wildlife are resources we value and will work to protect.
- We believe that we must repair, rebuild, reclaim, and clean up the land, rivers, seas and air, in cooperation with nations around the world.
- We believe in the defense of our country and we also believe that war should be waged only after honest attempts at diplomatic reconciliation. War should always be a last resort.