The Calaveras Board of Supervisors meetings are much more important than you may realize. One of our members, Janet, has been taking detailed notes which gives you a chance to follow along.
This article is from the 11/9/21 meeting. If you’d like to see the actual meeting, a video is available through the County’s website. If you’d like to download Janet’s notes, they can be found here: 20211109-bos-meeting-notes
This was another exciting meeting. Besides the Public Health Update, veterins were acknowledged, there were 15 Consent Agenda Items, and then a couple of regular agenda items. Item 20 had to do with a five-year plan for public housing; Item 21 was the follow-up discussion of the country redistricting. Both items generated quite a bit of discussion — which is worth reading in Janet’s notes.
Public meeting called to order at 9:15 a.m.
General Public Comment
• CJ Singh – Manager of Philanthropy at Mark Twain Hospital – invited BOSs and the public to a tree lighting ceremony on December 1st at 5:30 p.m. in San Andreas. Invitations will be going out and will be online supportmarktwain.org. Can purchase a tribute light in honor of a family member or friend. Safe and socially distanced event or can view it online or Facebook as well.
• Marti Crane – wanted to thank Supervisor Stopper regarding cows in a small space that was out of control and continued to grow. Thank you for addressing the cattle issue.
• Kim ? – former county employee. Animal Control can’t do many things due to liability – sit with animals, walk them, children to read to them, adoption at events, etc. that other shelters do. Discussed animals that got loose and could have exposed our county to liability. Need to fence the current shelter first and continue to work on getting a new shelter. Requested funds be assigned to address this issue.
• Alex Sage Walker – volunteer dog walker re shelter dogs. When she enters kennels in the morning it is deafening. Dogs are caged for 23 1/2 hours. Many concerns for dogs in this environment. Many large dogs and the environment is very poor for them and driving the dogs insane and sometimes turning dogs into having bad behavior issues. This environment is terrible for both the dogs and volunteers and staff – who do a wonderful job. Would like to participate in the committee for the new building. Invite all supervisors to visit the shelter any morning at 7:30 a.m. for yourself.
Recognition and Acknowledgments
4. Proclamation – Human Services (ID # 6385) Adopt a Proclamation recognizing
November 11, 2021 as Veterans Day.
• Brian Galicia – CA County Veterans Service Officer – took a moment to remember prior Veterans who came before us. Highlighted Veteran from Angels Camp – Herbert A. Calcatera – awarded a purple heart and silver star and died in combat.
Motion to approve proclamation – Passed 5 – 0
5. Minutes of Board of Supervisors – Special Meeting – Oct 19, 2021 8:00 AM
6. Resolution – Auditor/Controller (ID # 6381) Adopt a Resolution establishing the Fiscal Year 2021-22 Appropriations Limits for the County of Calaveras and Special Districts.
7. Resolution – Economic & Community Development (ID # 6372) Adopt a resolution approving and authorizing the Board Chair to execute the Golden State Connect Authority Joint Exercise of Powers Agreement.
8. Action Item – Economic & Community Development (ID # 6374) Approve amended Calaveras County Parks & Recreation Commission bylaws.
9. Agreement – Economic & Community Development (ID # 6378) Make public benefit finding; Approve and authorize the Board Chair to sign the Second Amendment to San Andreas Recreation and Park District Alex Quinones Park Lease with a term ending June 30, 2041.
10. Action Item – Integrated Waste Management (ID # 6240) 1) Accept the work of Ford Construction for the Red Hill Slide Repair; 2) Authorize the Balancing Change Order with Ford Construction Company Inc.; 3) Authorize the Board Chair to sign and record the associated Notice of Completion, and 4) Authorize Integrated Waste to release all retained funds.
11. Action Item – Information Technology (ID # 6383) Approve letter being sent to .Gov Domain Registration requesting .gov domain be delegated to Calaveras County, and request Board Chair sign letter that will be sent to Gov Domain Registration on behalf of Calaveras County.
12. Resolution – Health and Human Services Agency (ID # 6359) Adopt a Resolution authorizing the application for and acceptance of the Calaveras County Allocation Award (Round 3) under the Transitional Housing Program resulting in revenue of $10,400 to be expended by June 30, 2024.
13. Agreement – Public Works (ID # 6364) Authorize the Board Chair to execute Amendment 02 to the Agreement with The Gordian Group, Inc. for the provision of Job Order Contracting services increasing the not to exceed the amount to $700,000 through June 30, 2022.
14. Agreement – Public Works (ID # 6367) 1) Award Invitation to Bid 21-1200-05-912 for construction of the Wagon Trail Project – Phase 1; and 2) Authorize the Board Chair to execute an Agreement with Sukut Construction, LLC., in an amount not to exceed $18,041,629.00 for 400 working days.
15. Action Item – Public Works (ID # 6376) 1) Accept the work of Sierra Mountain Construction, Inc. for the Gwin Mine Road Repair Project as complete; 2) Authorize the Board Chair to sign and record the associated Notice of Completion; and 3) Authorize the Department of Public Works to release all retained funds.
16. Action Item – Public Works (ID # 6377) 1) Accept the work of Sierra Mountain Construction, Inc. for the Canyon View Drive Repair Project as complete; 2) Authorize the Board Chair to sign and record the associated Notice of Completion; and 3) Authorize the Department of Public Works to release all retained funds.
17. Action Item – Public Works (ID # 6379) 1) Accept the work of Dirt Dynasty, Inc. for the construction of the O’Byrnes Ferry Road at Copper Cove Drive Intersection Improvement Project; 2) Authorize the Board Chair to sign and record the associated Notice of Completion; and 3) Authorize the Department of Public Works to release all retained funds.
18. Resolution – OES (ID # 6345) 1) Authorize the Director of Emergency Services to accept $134,092 in 2021 Emergency Management Performance Grant (EMPG) funding; and 2) Authorize the Director of Emergency Services, CAO, and/or Deputy CAO to sign the grant agreement and subsequent grant amendments and requests for payment. This recommendation requires 4/5ths affirmative vote from the Board.
19. Resolution – OES (ID # 6368) 1) Authorize the Director of Emergency Services to accept $60,339 in 2021 Emergency Management Performance Grant-American Rescue Plan Act (EMPG-ARPA) funding; and 2) Authorize the Director of Emergency Services, CAO, and/or Assistant CAO to sign the grant agreement and subsequent grant amendments and requests for payment. This recommendation requires 4/5ths affirmative vote from the Board.
20. Resolution – Economic & Community Development (ID # 6344) Convene a Public Comment Period to review Calaveras County’s five-year plan for Permanent Local Housing Allocation Program funds; and Adopt a Resolution authorizing the application for and acceptance of the Calaveras County Allocation Award resulting in revenue of $539,081 for years 2019/20 and 2020/21, with anticipated additional revenue in the amount of $699,784 for years 2021/22, 2022/23, and 2023/24 to be expended by June 30, 2024.
Motion to approve consent agenda items 5 through 20 – Passed 5 – 0.
20. Resolution – Economic & Community Development (ID # 6344) Convene a Public comment Period to review Calaveras Count’s five-year plan for Permanent Local Housing Allocation Program funds; and Adopt a Resolution authorizing the application for and acceptance of the Calaveras County Allocation Award resulting in revenue of $539,061 for years 2019/20 and 2020/21, with anticipated additional revenue in the amount of $699,784 for years 2021/22, 2022/23, and 2023/24 to be expended by June 30, 2024.
• Kathy Gallino – Economic & Community Development Director & Lee Kimball – Planning
Department Housing Programs Manager – Presented powerpoint presentation. Please
review for detailed information.
• Lee Kimball – have to create 1,096 houses to meet our housing needs. PLHA allows for funding of housing, creating low-interest homes, and housing for the homeless.
• Proposing a 5-year plan. Funds already available for the first two years; allow us to drawdown funds for affordable and rental housing units to meet the growing need for workforce housing in our county.
• $1.2 million available at the end of five years for housing.
• If approved, will develop criteria for projects and loans, identify eligible projects, provide technical support for loans and projects.
• As loans are repaid, it will utilize PLHA funding for additional eligible activities.
• Will have a 30-day comment period and content information and can send comments to
https://calaverasgov.us/ or to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Lee Kimball – have to submit a plan by December 31st, so if this is not the Board’s pleasure, we probably won’t have time to do the 30-day public comment and submit for approval. Would have to wait until next year.
• Lee Kimball – need vote at the end of 30 days which ends on December 9, 2021, and needs to be submitted by December 31. Can approve it and make adjustments on a five-year plan. We can revise it and resubmit it but it will just stall the work beginning.
• Lee Kimball – has been in discussion with two non-profit organizations regarding some of your concerns. Will bring a housing development presentation after the first of the year. Required to have 30-day public comment and today was to open that and then come back with a resolution.
Supervisors & public comments have been removed from this posting but are well worth reading in Janet’s notes.
Motion to open public comment and bring back resolution after 30-day public comment –
Passed 5 – 0
Redistricting Public Hearing
21. Informational Item – County Clerk-Recorder & Registrar of Voters (ID # 6406) Conduct a public hearing and receive a presentation regarding the 2021 redistricting process and provide staff direction regarding map alternatives.
• Rebecca Turner – County Clerk – presented powerpoint presentation. Please review for detailed information.
• On website – Overview of process, community mapper, etc.
• December 7 – first day to potentially adopt resolution approving map; December 14 – last BOS
meeting before adopting map. 28 days for the elections office to add precinct lines to color, to
new supervisorial lines.
• Reviewed redistricting process again. (See previous notes of BOS meeting on 10.26.21.)
• Communities of Interest:
- Copper – bounds Copper but splits Diamond XX from Copper because they said the community of interest.
- Vallecito – one map is East Vallecito and Parrot South – covers both sides on the highway.
The majority is they would like to be kept in one district. East Vallecito – currently in D4 and should
be placed in D3.
- Sheep Ranch – want to stay in one district.
- Mountain Ranch – want to stay in one district
- San Andreas – provided a map
- Rancho Calaveras – the biggest grouping of population. The southern boundary would be Jenny Lind.
- Valley Hills Estate – follows along highway and part of Rancho Calaveras.
- West Rancho Calaveras – would like them added to D5.
- West Hills – Rancho Calaveras – goes up to Rancho Calaveras
• Public Comments
Supervisors & public comments have been removed from this posting but are well worth reading in
• Supervisor Foldendorf – attended COG meeting last week with Supervisor Tofanelli and will
go over strategic plan at next meeting.
• Chair Stopper – attended hardwood advisory committee meeting, organizing and working
with the Planning Dept to implement more information to implement in the general plan.
Meeting adjourned at 3:02 p.m.