I almost always learn new things by reading through Janet’s notes. I’m amazed at all the things that the library does to expand their services. So this week, I learned that the library has passes that you can check out for access to the State park system. We also had a couple of proclamations, a lot of Consent Agenda items, and a big discussion on the County’s telecommuting program.
Taking a short amount of time to read through this page will give you a good overview of what’s happening in our County. Taking the time to read Janet’s notes will give you a lot more information.bos-meeting-notes-4-12-2022
If you’ve ever wondered why the Agenda items sometimes start down the list, it’s because we only list the public agenda items. If you go back to the County’s links for the meetings, you can see any items discussed in the private session (things that legally can’t be discussed in a public meeting). There are also links for the background materials that were made available to the Supervisors to study before the meeting. We also include a link to the video so that you can watch the full meeting.
• Lisa Medina – Environmental Management Agency Director – past weekend had another successful rabies and microchip clinic, with our giving out 163 rabies shots, 89 microchips. The next clinic is at Government Center on May 14. Many kitties are up for adoption, 11 cat volunteers gave 88 hours of volunteer time. Several dogs are available for adoption.
• Nancy Giddens – County Librarian – last week was national library week. Thanked BOS for their continued support and her committed staff, volunteers, and the Friends of the Library in serving the county. Shared Vision Grant – engaging families in Calaveras County through the library. Couldn’t do a bookmobile but devised healthy living kits for take-away programming for families. Kits include cooking, yoga, plants, gardening, nutrition, and social/emotional support for kids and families. Did get pods and boxes for growing plants in San Andreas. Did mobile in Railroad Flat co-op. The Bookmobile is coming, hoping in May at County Fair. Developing mobile branch collection – books, DVDs, audiobooks. Purchased some layaway learning tablets (don’t need the internet).
• More from the California State Library. More workforce libraries online for seniors, veterans, preparing for a new career, mental health, and wellness, etc. Purchased 3 scholastic databases for our children for pre-school – 6th grade. Also, received home connectivity kits – chrome books with a hot spot that people can check out from the library and take home and return to the library.
• Library has been given state park passes for check out. We launched it yesterday. Can check out a pass for a day pass to any state park in the state. Will have 26 throughout the library system – 3 per site. Can check out for a two-week period.
Recognition and Acknowledgments
3. Proclamation – Clerk of the Board of Supervisors (ID # 6612) Adopt a proclamation declaring April 2022 as Sikh Awareness and Appreciation Month in Calaveras County.
• Supervisor Stopper read the proclamation.
Public Comment – Please review notes & video
Motion to approve Proclamation – Passed – 5 – 0.
4. Proclamation – Behavioral Health Services – Mental Health Program (ID # 6627) Adopt a Proclamation declaring the month of April 2022 Alcohol Awareness Month in Calaveras County.
• Supervisor Tofanelli read proclamation.
Public Comment – Various. Please review notes & video
Motion to approve Proclamation – Passed – 5 – 0.
General Public Comment
Please review notes & video
5. Minutes of Board of Supervisors – Regular Meeting – Mar 8, 2022 8:00 AM
6. Minutes of Board of Supervisors – Regular Meeting – Mar 15, 2022 8:00 AM
7. Action Item – Clerk of the Board of Supervisors (ID # 6621) Appointment of applicants to serve on various Committees, Commissions, Advisory Boards and County Service Areas.
8. Resolution – County Clerk-Recorder & Registrar of Voters (ID # 6644) Adopt a Resolution ordering an election, to be consolidated with the November 8, 2022 General Election in accordance with Elections Code § 9118(b), to submit an ordinance to the voters imposing a Countywide 1% Sales Tax to Benefit Local Fire Agencies, consistent with the initiative petition that was found sufficient and certified by the Registrar of Voters on March 22, 2022.
9. Agreement – Behavioral Health Services – Mental Health Program (ID # 6626) Authorize the Board Chair to execute Amendment 01 to the Agreement with Kings View Corporation for the three-year period of July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2022, in an amount not to exceed $597,666.00 for the Mental Health Program Electronic Health Record (EHR) software system.
10. Agreement – Behavioral Health Services – Mental Health Program (ID # 6633) Authorize Board Chair to execute an agreement with El Concilio for the provision of mental health services in the not-to-exceed amount of $70,000 for the period of March 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023.
11. Agreement – Health and Human Services Agency (ID # 6515) Authorize the Board Chair to sign the First Amended Inter-Department Memorandum of Understanding – Between Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA) and Economic & Community Development (E&CD) for Administration and Implementation of Community Development Block Grants for the period July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2023.
12. Agreement – Health and Human Services Agency (ID # 6624) Authorize the Board Chair to execute an agreement with The Resource Connection of Amador and Calaveras Counties, Inc., for the provision of CalWORKs’ Stage 1 Childcare services in an amount not to exceed $400,000 for the period of July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2024.
13. Resolution – Integrated Waste Management (ID # 6628) Adopt a Resolution authorizing Integrated Waste Management to submit applications to CalRecycle for the beverage container recycling grants for which Calaveras County and the City of Angels Camp are eligible.
14. Action Item – Integrated Waste Management (ID # 6634) By a 4/5 vote, authorize Integrated Waste Management to initiate a budget transfer for Capital Improvement Project – Rock Creek Landfill Phase III.
15. Agreement – Public Works (ID # 6587) Authorize the Board Chair to execute Amendment 03 to the Agreement with The Gordian Group, Inc. for the provision of Job Order Contracting services extending the contract term through June 30, 2023 with a not to exceed amount of $700,000.
16. Agreement – Public Works (ID # 6609) 1) Award Invitation to Bid 21-1020-09-913 for construction services for the 2021 Paving Program; and 2) Authorize the Board Chair to execute an Agreement for construction of the 2021 Paving Program between Calaveras County and American Pavement Systems, Inc. in an amount not to exceed $907,796.29.
17. Action Item – Public Works (ID # 6615) Authorize the Purchasing Agent to piggyback on Sourcewell contract 040920 and issue a Purchase Order to UniFirst Corporation for uniform rental and laundry services for the Department of Public Works for the two (2) year term of April 12, 2022 through May 22, 2024 in an amount not to exceed $36,000.
18. Action Item – Public Works (ID # 6632) 1) Authorize Contract Change Order 001 for waterline relocation and Contract Change Order 002 which is the final balancing change order to the contract with K.W. Emerson, Inc. for the 2017 Winter Storm Blagen Road Repair Project; 2) Authorize final payment in the amount of $51,352.39 which includes the release of retention resulting in a total construction cost of $610,023.07 which was originally contracted for $625,845; and 3) Accept the work as complete and authorize the Board Chair to execute the Notice of Completion.
Motion to approve consent agenda items 5 – 18 (minus item number 14) – Passed – 5 – 0.
• Chair Folendorf wants to pull item number 14. Wanted clarity on some questions which she asked staff about.
• Jennifer Cashie – Department Manager for Calaveras County Integrated Waste – re Rock Creek. Was mentioned of slab improvement at Red Hill annex improvement. Have amended language and budget with tasks outlined. Tasks 6, 7, and 8 have been removed and reallocated in new document. About 58% complete in this contract.
Motion to approve consent agenda item 14 – Passed – 5 – 0.
19. Action Item – Human Resources (ID # 6618) Approve a Countywide Telecommuting Policy.
• Judy Hawkins – HR and Risk Management – bringing permanent telecommuting policy and requesting approval. Department Heads can determine if telecommuting is an option for employees who have requested it; can manage staff, determine performance, and not create a heavier workload for those in the department. Will train department heads so they are properly measuring these areas. Employees must have an ergonomically designed workplace and safety specialists will follow up with employees to verify safe and efficient work space at home.
• We have been asked for out-of-state work – we have to verify state they are working out of is not stricter than California workers’ comp – not stricter than CA, if so, would have to incur extra cost; doctors within different state would have to accept CA doctors; if accident, would have to fly employees here if depositions are needed to be taken; have to ensure our payroll can properly tax for different states, we do not have reciprocity with other states; need to make sure we can properly process taxes; HR will have to get up to speed on laws of the state the employees are working out of. Doesn’t mean we can’t do it but it would be extra work for payroll.
• Doug Oliver – Chief Building Official – Building Department was able to continue our business because we had a similar model to what is being requested. We got the message this is public service and out among the people serving them and up to us to balance who is and is not in the office.
Motion to approve action item passed – 5 – 0.
20. Resolution – Human Resources (ID # 6651) Adopt a resolution appointing Gabriel Elliott to the position of Director of Planning, effective April 12, 2022, and establishing compensation and benefits.
• Judy Hawkins – recommending approval to appoint Gabriel Elliott as Planning Director, excited to have him here.
• Gabriel Elliott – I am excited about this opportunity, I will do my utmost to make sure I follow your guidelines, diligently develop my staff, and turn around will be done. You can count on me and reach me at any time regardless of my fixed hours. I am grateful for the opportunity and that I am here and look forward to working with each and every one of you.
• Chair Folendorf – wanted to thank Gina for all her hard work during the interim period.
Public Comment • None
Motion to approve resolution passed – 5 – 0.
• Supervisor Garamendi – went to Sacramento to testify re Golden State Connect, we are moving quickly, and it is exciting.
• Supervisor Stopper – Saturday, May 7, 2022, is the 22nd annual kids fishing clinic, from 9 am to 1 pm at Murphys Park. Invited any board member to attend and help out. Attended Sheriff’s Association Fundraiser, good to see all board members showed up.