Information on the storms, new County CEO, and some extensive discussion on budgets.
Here’s the link for today’s video where you can watch the full meeting. As always, an excellent job Janet!bos-meeting-notes-02-28-23.pdf
Winter Storm Update
1. Informational Item – OES (ID # 7169) Receive an update presentation from staff on the winter storms which began on or about December 29, 2022.
• John Osborne – Director of Emergency Services – 350 folks registered with FEMA, $268,116.80 for assistance, assigned project manager for public assistance projects. Moving along well.
Recognition and Acknowledgments
2. Proclamation – Economic & Community Development (ID # 7113) Approve a Proclamation Designating March 2023 as Arts Education Month in Calaveras County.
• Supervisor Stopper read the proclamation.
Motion to approve proclamation – Passed – 5-0.
General Public Comment
Please see Janet’s notes for additional information.
3. Minutes of Board of Supervisors – Special Meeting – Feb 10, 2023, 10:00 AM
4. Action Item – Administrative Office (ID # 7099) Approve budget appropriations for the FY 2022- 23 Winter Storm damages from extreme weather events that began on December 29, 2022. Requires 4/5ths affirmative action of the Board.
5. Action Item – Clerk of the Board of Supervisors (ID # 7151) Appointment of applicants to serve on various Committees, Commissions, Advisory Boards and County Service Areas.
6. Agreement – Behavioral Health Services – Mental Health Program (ID # 7160) Authorize the Board Chair to sign the Agreement between Calaveras County and A&A Health Services for inpatient psychiatric treatment services, for the not to exceed amount of $225,092 for the period of February 1, 2023, through June 30, 2024, to be utilized on an as needed basis.
7. Agreement – First 5 Calaveras (ID # 7154) 1) Authorize the Board Chair to execute an Agreement with Tuolumne County Superintendent of Schools for the Smile Keepers Dental Program for the period of March 1, 2023 through June 30, 2024, in an amount not to exceed $107,000; and 2) Authorize the Health and Human Services Agency Director to execute amendments that make changes to the scope and/or budget so long as it does
not affect the not to exceed amount.
8. Agreement – Human Services (ID # 7147) Authorize the Board Chair to sign an Estoppel Certificate with Five Star Bank for leased property located at 509 E. St. Charles Street, San Andreas, CA 95249.
9. Agreement – Human Services (ID # 7161) Authorize the Board Chair to sign the Emergency Solutions Grant Agreement #ESG-CV 2021 with Amador Tuolumne Community Action Agency (ATCAA) resulting in an increase in revenue in the total amount of $535,247 over the period of January 1, 2021, through December 31, 2023.
10. Agreement – Human Services (ID # 7162) Authorize the Board Chair to sign a Memorandum of Understanding between the Health and Human Services Agency and District Attorney for the investigation and management of prosecution of crimes against CalWORKs, CalFresh, CMSP, and Other Public Assistance Programs for the not to exceed the amount of $172,114.04 for the period of January 1, 2023, through June 30, 2024, to be reimbursed on an actual time spent basis.
11. Action Item – Public Works (ID # 7087) Receive the written FY 2021-22 annual reports for the Road Impact Mitigation, Valley Springs Benefit Basin, Copperopolis Benefit Basin, and Bret Harte Traffic Impact Mitigation development fee programs.
12. Action Item – Public Works (ID # 7100) Approve increases to Blanket Purchase Orders for: 1) George Reed, Inc. in an amount not to exceed $750,000; and 2) Martin Marietta Material, Inc. in an amount not to exceed $400,000; and 3) Interstate Sales, Inc. in an amount not to exceed $50,000; and 4) McCoy Tire Service in an amount not to exceed $65,000 for the period of July 1, 2022, through June 30, 2023.
13. Agreement – Public Works (ID # 7140) Authorize the Board Chair to execute Amendment 01 to Dokken Engineering, Inc. Agreement for final design, right-of-way, and construction support services for Calaveritas Road Bridge rehabilitation project, increasing the maximum amount payable under this Agreement by $5,760.04 to an amount not to exceed $557,613.26.
14. Agreement – Public Works (ID # 7141) Authorize the Board Chair to execute Amendment 07 to the Agreement with Consor North America, Inc. for environmental and engineering services associated with the replacement of Dogtown and Lime Creek Road Bridges, federal aid numbers BRLO-5930(074) and BRLO-5930(058), increasing the total amount by $19,540.37.
15. Action Item – Public Works (ID # 7149) 1) Accept the work of George Reed, Inc. for the construction of the Road Resurfacing and Paving Program – Copperopolis Roads Project; 2) Authorize the Board Chair to sign and record the associated Notice of Completion; and 3) Authorize the Department of Public Works to release all retained funds.
16. Agreement – Integrated Waste Management (ID # 7116) 1) Authorize the filing of a CEQA Notice of Determination; and 2) authorize the Board Chair to execute Amendment 2 to the Professional Services Agreement between Calaveras County and Geo-Logic Associates for consulting, engineering and design services, increasing the contract amount by $1,201,893 for a total not to exceed the amount of $2,541,200 for the period of March 25th, 2020, through June 30, 2025.
17. Agreement – Sheriff (ID # 7142) 1) Approve and authorize the Board Chair to execute a Second Amendment to JBCT Agreement Number 20-79014-000 A2, a revenue-generating contract between the State of California Department of State Hospitals and County of Calaveras with a term of February 1, 2021, through January 31, 2025, for an amount not to exceed $10,091,363, which increases the term by one additional year and the total aggregate contract revenue by $5,326,863; and 2) Grant the Sheriff and/or Undersheriff authority to execute future amendments and other administrative contract-related documents within this term and not-to-exceed amount.
18. Agreement – Sheriff (ID # 7159) Approve, and authorize the Board Chair and the Sheriff to execute, a three-year revenue agreement for the confinement of Tuolumne County inmates at the Calaveras County Jail, at a daily rate of $85/day per inmate.
19. Resolution – Sheriff (ID # 7165) Approve revision to Resolution 20221025r118 which authorizes the Calaveras County Sheriff’s Office to apply for grant funds from the State of California, Department of Parks and Recreation, Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW)’s Boating Safety and Enforcement Financial Aid Program when the next grant cycle opens during calendar year 2022.
20. Action Item – Sheriff (ID # 7158) Authorize the Purchasing Agent to issue a blanket purchase order to Derotic Emergency Equipment to perform patrol and undercover vehicle outfitting to twelve recently purchased vehicles in an aggregate amount not to exceed $542,000 for fiscal year 2022-2023.
Supervisor Foldendorf requested to pull Items 15 and 16
Supervisor Folendor pulled for the public – Item 15 – spoke with Robert Pachinger and asked to move to the next meeting. BOS agreed to move to the next agenda on March 14, 2023.
Please see Janet’s notes for additional information.
Motion to approve consent agenda item 16 – Passed – 5-0.
Motion to approve consent agenda items 3 – 20 – Passed – 5-0.
21. Resolution – Human Resources (ID # 7172) Adopt a Resolution Appointing Teresa Hitchcock as the County Executive Officer and Authorize the Board Chair to sign the Employment Agreement.
• Craig Pedro – Interim CEO – thanked the BOS. Tasked to take a look at changes and produce a handbook, CEO ordinance, and take definitive action to eliminate the structural deficit. Discussed the three-panel interview process, the top 5 candidates, went down to 2, and Teresa was chosen. Interviewed with BOS and wanted to make sure she was a good fit for our community. She has 22 years of experience at Kern County and served as assistant CAO for Kern County.
• Teresa Hitchcock – looks forward to continuing the strategic plan, and wants to improve the quality of life for residents in Calaveras County, it is an honor and privilege to be here.
• BOS – thanked Craig for his commitment and all the great work he did with them as a team. Looking forward to working with Teresa, impressed with her qualifications and feel she will be a good fit for our county.
Public Comment – Please see notes for additional information.
Motion to approve Resolution – Passed 5 – 0.
22. Informational Item – Public Works (ID # 7163) Receive a presentation on the draft 2023 Calaveras County Department of Public Works Five-Year Capital Improvement Program.
• Robert Pachinger – Director of Public Works – presented a PowerPoint presentation. Please review the video for detailed information. Will bring it back to the BOS to approve in March 2023 after we get all the input gathered. Please see notes for additional information.
Informational Item Only
23. Action Item – Administrative Office (ID # 7075) 1) Receive the FY 2022-23 Mid-Year Budget Presentation; 2) Approve the Mid-Year Budget adjustments included in Attachments A and B; and 3) Approve the Mid-Year Capital Assets List included as Attachment C. Requires a 4/5th affirmative vote of the Board
• Marcos Munoz – Assistance CAO – presented a PowerPoint presentation. Please review the video for detailed information.
• Overview of Adopted Budget: FY2022-23 Budget Adopted September 27, 2022: All Fund Appropriations = $234,712,451; All Fund Revenues – $187,887,176. General Fund Department Budgets: Appropriations = $78,286,281; Revenues = $67,859,254;
Approximately $9.4 M structural deficit at final Budget prior to budget clean up (ongoing since Final Budget); $2,418,730 budgeted for Contingencies (twice the policy minimum); $5,007,804 in General Fund Reserve (at policy minimum). Please see the notes for additional information.
Public Comment • None
Motion to approve Action Item – Passed 5 – 0.
• Supervisor Garamendi – Golden State Connect Authority had an executive board meeting and will bring forth the full contract and preliminary design for Calaveras County, a lot of moving parts, should have a presentation soon.
• Supervisor Huberty – attended the CSAC conference for new supervisors and it was very informative.
• Chair Tofanelli – attended Mountain Valley MS board meeting and Central Sierra Child Support meeting; COG meeting tomorrow evening at 5:30 p.m.